Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Time for a video chat ... technology is awesome!

Did you know that China is 12 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Standard time? Well my boyfriend and I are experiencing that time difference right now. He is abroad for work and I'm home in the US but the technology of our culture has made this world small!

There are many options out there such as Skype or FaceTime for video chats and WhatsApp, Viber, TextPlus for texting. We chose Skype and TextPlus. Results? So far it's great! We are able to stay in touch each day, sharing what's going on and encouraging each other. He has one week left of his three week trip. Of course I am looking forward to being in the same time zone as him. It's so odd to say good morning to him when it's nighttime here!

The first time I went out of the country was very different. In 2006 I went to Oxford University for the summer to take two courses with an organization called Academic Study Associates. I remember my mom purchasing a calling card for me to be able to call home from the one phone in the dorm room hallway. My family and I exchanged letters in the mail too. Yes I mean the actual mail a.k.a. snail mail, not email. (I miss getting physical letters in the mail though)

It's crazy to think that was less than 10 years ago. Technology is rapidly expanding ... maybe even exponentially! Just think of cellphones ... they use to be the size of bricks and now they easily fit into your pocket.

What do you think the next greatest technology invention or enhancement will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment